Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Our One Year Journey as Parents


For most, 2020 was a year when the world turned upside down. LITERALLY. This was mainly contributed by the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, volatility in the market, economy and job security. For the Mrs and I, 2020 was the year we welcomed our LO into the world. One of my close friends even joked that she was a Circuit Breaker (CB) baby. I think Singaporeans will get that pun. Time has flown so quickly that our resume now also reads ‘One year experience in parenting’. 

Babies really grow very quickly. Our LO constantly looked different as the weeks went by and she was always hitting new developmental milestones. Our optimistic takeaway from Covid-19 was the time we got to spend with family and seeing our LO’s development. 

As a year old parent, I must say it is not easy. Expenses will rise (I will cover this in-depth in another post) and you probably won’t have any free time for yourself. This is all worth it when you see your LO’s smile and they crawl/stumble up towards you demanding a hug. 

As a husband and a first time father, I tried my best to help out in whatever I could. Doing the chores around the house, preparing meals etc. Most importantly, looking after the Mrs. ‘It takes a village to raise a child’, and I think we are fortunate enough to be living with my parents and there are extra pairs of eyes and hands to help take care of our LO. With that in mind, I always told the Mrs that my priority was to take care of her and nurse her back to health after (a supposed worry-free) pregnancy. Always be ready to listen and try and understand your partner’s rationale/worries. 

I think the Mrs has also influenced me during this period in a positive way. I had the thought that bringing the LO to places of attractions etc were a waste of money because she probably will not remember anything. But over some time, I understood that we are experiencing new things with our LO and this little exposure aids in her development in so many different ways. So have an open mind as parents. 

This one year journey has had its ups and downs. There were times when our LO was wailing at 2-3am and refused to be placed in bed. There were also times when we saw her stand up unassisted or pull her favourite storybook and plop herself on our lap demanding to be read to. I think the Mrs and I are looking forward to the year ahead with our LO and seeing what tricks she is going to pull. Nonetheless, if you are a young parent and read until here, I just want to give you a word of encouragement and do not give up. All your efforts are worth it. 

Share with me any thoughts or comments that you may have on parenting! Stay safe everyone!

On a separate note, I have started a YouTube Channel showcasing my hobbies. If you are interested, you can watch my latest video hereAny feedback, subscriptions or comments is deeply appreciated!

My YouTube Channel: LINK HERE!

My Instagram: LINK HERE!

SG FI Dad, out


No comments:

Post a Comment

ICYMI: Google Pay Promo

  Just a quick heads-up to everyone who might have missed out on the Google Pay promotion. You can still get CASHBACK when you Paynow your f...